It’s essential that every company has a gas station or a roadside have a gas station on the mobile web superhighway. Consumers are leaning hard on smartphones for critical information about brands during the buying process. You might be skeptical, or dragging your heels about making an investment in mobile, which may mean a responsive web design for your site or a mobile-only web presence. But you can’t wait.
- 91% use the mobile web for inspiration during the middle of a task
- 82% consult their smartphones while shopping
- 66% use mobile to learn more about something they saw in a TV commercial
- 55% have switched from a brand they intended to buy, because of information on search.
Mobile Web Marketing Basics
Smartphone trickery knows no bounds. Geo-fencing, for example, allows restaurants to alert hungry customers within a certain radius of the eatery about the soup of the day. Fortunately, you can be effective without getting fancy. Scoot the Geo-fence, and get started with these basic steps:
- Your site must work on mobile devices. Many sites today are built on mobile responsive or compatible platforms. If you have an older site that doesn’t render well on mobile, build a new one. Gulp. We understand. But take a moment to calculate the value of the business you could be losing because you’re AWOL on their phones.
- Make sure that your site looks sharp on mobile and that it’s easy to operate. Start with an analytical tool like Google’s “Mobile-Friendly Test,” and test the mobile site’s usability by watching actual humans perform tasks on it.
- Create mobile-only search engine marketing (SEM) that’s sensitive to where and what your customers are using their phones. Buying needs change as the buying experience unfolds. For example, imagine this typical string of information needs about dog house. what do dogs desire in a dog house? What brands incorporate the features I just learned about? Which dog houses get the best reviews from pooches? What stores sell those brands? Help me compare prices. What is the closest store to my home? How do I get there?
- Have your site optimized for mobile. Speed up pokey page download times. Test design for use by chubby fingers. And tailor search copy to localize your business.
Stake your claim on the mobile web by making your site mobile responsive.